I’ve seen this tag floating around a lot lately and it seems interesting, so I’ll take a crack at it. Unfortunately I don’t have any cool banner for it and don’t know how to make one (as a side note, if you know how to, please tell me!)… Anyways, here goes!
1. A popular book or series that you didn’t like.
The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien, which is surprising to even me because I’ve always loved The Lord of the Rings films (The Hobbit film was a let-down for me). Sorry!
2. A popular book or series that everyone else seems to hate but you love.
Hmm, that’s a tough one. I feel like everyone says this, but I loved Twilight when I read the series. Now I hate it (had to read it for university and I couldn’t believe I’d ever liked it). But I liked it at the time…
3. A love triangle where the main character ended up with the person you did not want them to end up with.
I won’t give away any spoilers, but I’d have to say Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard.
4. A popular book genre that you hardly reach for.
This is a recent change for me, but I used to be a HUGE fan of contemporary fiction, specifically YA contemp. But recently I’ve been so bored by it, so I’ve been largely ignoring it. Sorry YA and contemp fans!
5. A popular or beloved character that you do not like.
Clary from Cassandra Clare’s Mortal Instruments series. Ugh, I can’t stand her (or the books).
6. A popular author that you can’t seem to get into.
I’ll repeat: Cassandra Clare. I don’t get the hype surrounding her, to be honest…
7. A popular book trope that you’re tired of seeing.
Oh my gosh, I am so sick of teenage girls in any genre in YA being portrayed as “tough” or “witty” through the blatant overuse of sarcasm. I feel like YA is saturated with this ideal right now and it makes for the same character being reused over and over again by many different authors in many different books. Also, I hate when the unlikeliest person discovers secret powers for no apparent reason and therefore they can save the world/rescue the dude/do whatever without any sort of explanation. (*Ahem* Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard.)
8. A popular series that you have no interest in reading.
Tahareh Mafi’s Shatter Me series. I just couldn’t get into it.
9. People say “the book is always better than the movie,” but what movie or T.V. show do you like better than the book?
I thought that the Insurgent film was leagues better than the book by Veronica Roth. Again: sorry!
I tag you all!
-Ember Book Reviews